Plastic Optical Fiber (POF) is a unique member of the optical fiber family. POF is made of Poly Methyl Methacrylate (PMMA),
with a large core diameter (~1 mm) and high numerical aperture (NA 0.3 – 0.5).
The following figure shows a comparison of a typical POF geometry compared to another well known optical fiber,
the Multi Mode Glass Optical Fiber (MM-GOF).
It is easy to appreciate the huge core diameter (20x) as well as the relativelly thin clad of POF compared to MM-GOF.
Thanks to its huge core diameter, POF is immune to misalignments and strong vibrations, and can be installed in rugged industrial and automotive environments without any loss of communication capacity.
POF is ideally suited for deployment either by a professional installer or a do-it-yourself installer using basic tools, such as a pair of scissors or a cutter, and inexpensive plastic connectors.
An optical transmission media, POF is completely immune to electrical noise. For example, existing copper wire installations will not interfere with data passing through POF lines, so POF can be installed anywhere next to electrical cabling.
POF and its connectors and optoelectronics are low cost consumer parts that enable installers to save on cable costs and installation, as well as testing and maintenance time.
Widely used in over 20 million cars for infotainment networks, POF is part of the automotive standard, Media Oriented Systems Transport for high-speed data transmission in car networks.
Plastic Optic Fiber Cable for Communication
Communication plastic optical fiber application
- Application in FTTH (fiber to home)
Fit in to glass optical fiber networking, taking good effect in the terminal of broadband networking. Plastic optical fiber can resolve optimum solution of “the last hundred meters”.
- Application in consumer electronics
The patch cords of plastic optical fiber are used in transmission for digital audio, wideband transmission with high speed, high fidelity, low attenuation, and the POF cable could reduce the electromagnetic interference to zero
- Application in automobile intelligence
POF is used for navigator instrument, automobile communication, delight video system, and television, DVD player, audio, lamps, switching connecting line.
- Application in industry control and monitor system
Plastic optical fiber can be used in line control of power station in strong magnetic field, connecting different equipments, being the communication linkage of sensors. The movement of target detection, networking forward and monitor vision information.
- Application in military communication
Plastic optical fiber cable have been widely used in transition network of action zone, military chain of command, the mount device of chariot, fighting plane, warship, and can not be replaced in the future electric combat.
The characteristic of plastic optical fiber for data transmission
- Low cost for maintenance, saving cooper resource, energy-saving and environment protection.
- Immune to electromagnetic wave radiation, no noise effect, good capacity of resisting disturbance.
- Low weight, flexible, high resist flutter and determinate cleavage, durability.
- High bandwidth, high speed, good performance.
- High privacy protection, reliable safety.
- Optimum bandwidth, high speed, good performance.
- Close coupling, high illumination, stabile attenuation.
- Easy installation, needlessness for special tools and fusion welding, and cut at will by your request.
- Waterproof, Dampproof, Antimagnetic, free of magnetic and thunders.
|fiber grade||product code||outer dia.(mm)||jacketing materials||attenuation(dB/km)||N.A.||operation temp.(°c)|
with a jacketing
|C grade with double jacketing||CC1000-4||4.0±0.1||black PE/PVC||≤200||0.5||-55–85|
Plastic Light Optical Fiber for Lighting and Decoation
|POF for illumination||FL0250-1||POFφ0.25mm||0.25||0.5||≤350||12000|
The luminous fiber optics textiles are high-tech intelligent products,
made by fiber optics fabric that based on an innovative and original patented technology
which covered textiles, optics and electronics.
The technology allows to weave plastic optical fibers alongside synthetic fibers, forming a luminous fabric.